Hello from Downeast Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jenniferlynne11, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Jenniferlynne11

Jenniferlynne11 New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    HI...
    Just joined BYC tonight after perusing lots of different topics and learnining quite a bit ....
    We got our first flock last spring, 6 Black Sexlinks, the gals are doing really well...
    We built them a nice cozy little coup but found that our design ideas were really difficult to maintain over the winter months.
    Since we have so many requests for eggs, we decided this summer to build a nice big coup....and expand the flock next spring.
    We did alot of research and we think we've got a nice plan worked out...and we've taken into account all of the obstacles we encountered last winter ...so hopefully this winter will be a little easier on the gals as well as ourselves...

Last winter one of the gals had a messy poo...and it froze in her bottom feathers....we couldn't get it out...and finally all of the feathers fell out and she had a bald bottom.
    I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this happen...We were hoping the feathers would come back...but the poor gal still has a bald bottom and it looks red...It's hard to look at, but she seems completely normal and perky, she lays regularly. One of the eggs in the batch always seems a little bigger than the others, and the shell seems to be mis-shapen...I wonder if it is hers....
    I hope she's ok...she seems to be...and none of the other gals pick on her...they all love each other....

I have a very hard time trying to get her singled out in order to try and give her a warm soak...any pointers on how to go about doing that? While I Love the gals...and spoil them ...I have a healthy respect and even a little fear of them...so I "Chicken out..." every time I get too close.. [​IMG]

Any Hoo...I'm looking forward to being a member of the BYC community...
    Thanks for the great forum... & Any advice or suggestions for a newbie would be quite welcomed!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

I'm no expert, but the feathers might not grow back in until she molts. Maybe this fall. [​IMG]

Chickens are much easier to catch at night when they are roosting.

Imp

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Search "bald bottom" in the search feature of the forum... quite a few with that problem out there.

[​IMG]

6. Jenniferlynne11

Jenniferlynne11 New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks I'll give that a try!!!
    & thans to the others for the welcoming posts!!

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. [​IMG]

9. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps