Hello from downunder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ozbird, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ozbird

ozbird New Egg

OZBIRD from Lewiston South Australia 50lm north of Adelaide.

25 years breeding Rhode Island Red, Langshans, and Andulusians for showing and stock for other breeders only.

For family fun Karki Campbell ducks and Chinese geese.

No snow here and temperatures from 16 Celsius winter to 40 plus in the summer.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy neighbour [​IMG] Welcome!

You might want to say hello on the Aussie thread where you would be most welcome: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, I'd love to see some pictures of your animals!

4. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Welcome, how I would like to be there right now.

It is -34 here right now! Need some warmth and sunshine.

We have a niece and her husband and toddler that lives there! Maybe someday get to visit.

How are Chinese geese are they friendly and docile to be around little kids? Toddlers. We got white geese one time and all they wanted to do is severely attack. Very dangerous! Would love some geese for extra watch dog type behaviour against wildlife but not if they are cranky!

5. ozbird

ozbird New Egg

They know their own people but God help a stranger or a venomous snake. We took their eggs away as the previous time to rats aye their young. Now we have to work out how to introduce 3 months full sized partially feathered youngsters.

We have a climate controlled room for hatchlings, then a closed brick building where they all go to next separated of course and then to the gender separated pens where they morph into adults. At this stage the geese are at stage 2.

We don't cuddle them like the ducks but they dont attack. You can't beat the KC ducks for mates.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, ozbird, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Lots of Aussie chicken keepers on BYC! Best wishes and thanks for joining our flock! :)

8. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Hello, fellow aussie, welcome to the forum. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by