Hello from East Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FunnyFarmMomma, Aug 13, 2011.

1. FunnyFarmMomma

FunnyFarmMomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Hello to all. I'm not exactly new to chickens as my parents kept some when I was smaller, but it has been more than 20 years since I've been around them.

My youngest son had been pestering me for several months to get chickens but I kept saying no. He must have put a bug in my mom's ear because the next thing I know my mom brings him 5 White Leghorns. We ended up with 4 roosters and 1 hen. One of the roosters died of mysterious curcumstances and a racoon got the hen.

After about 12 weeks we now have those 3 roosters, 2 RIR/BO mix pullets, 4 silkies of indeterminant sex (we were told 2 roos/2 hens but they all seem to crow but one), 12 easter eggers (to young to see about gender), 2 polish (one all black/one buff and white colored, both too young to see about gender), 6 cochins (2 white/2 gray and white (splash?)/1 gray/1 black and white (splash?) no gender except one of the whites is a roo), a pair of Black Tailed White Japanese, a pair of bantams (not sure what breed or mix of breeds they might be) and 4 Silver Spangeled Hamburgs (1 roo and 3 hens).

He was told no more than 10 or 12. I guess this is what is called chicken math. [​IMG]

As you can tell we live outside of city limits. We also have 3 dogs, a chihuahua mix named Tippy (13yrs), a beagle/Spiz mix named Jake (4mo), and a mountain cur/black and tan coon hound mix that we just got today that I might name Toby (6wks). If anyone has any good name ideas let me know. There is also a pygmy goat named Jed hopefuly to joined soon by a friend and 2 lionhead rabbits named Leo and Darth Choco (so named by my nephew).

I am also mom to two human children, 2 boys ages 16 and 12.

I found out about BYC when I was researching different breeds and housing. Some of my housing needs work but I guess this will be a good project to keep me out from in front of the T.V.

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Welcome from sacramento [​IMG] I'm glad you could join us [​IMG]

3. FunnyFarmMomma

FunnyFarmMomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Thanks!

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    [​IMG] from NC!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! It's good to have you on the forum! [​IMG] Sounds like you're getting into chickens in a big way! Have fun on BYC!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH