1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from East Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dingofarm, Apr 16, 2012.

1. dingofarm

dingofarm New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Hello. We live in Seymour, Tennessee near the Great Smoky Mountains. We raise Naturally Reared Carolina Dogs (aka American Dingos), a few pigs and keep chickens. We started off with a bantam flock that someone tired of and gave us. We now have a mixed flock of 12 hens and one rooster. We rarely pay for chickens as we take any that people we know are giving away:) We cull ones that are not laying or extra roosters and butcher them to eventually feed to the dogs. We were using simple tractors consisting of a 5x6 wood frame with woven wire arched from one side to the other add ends and a simple frame/wire door in one end, a tarp stretched over the top and 1x4 boards crossways through the wire for a roost. We were given one and cheaply built 2 more. We are now using a 10x10 chain link dog kennel with a top but we really need to add wheels because dragging it from place to place every few days is tearing it up. We cannot figure out how to add the wheels without it being several inches off the ground. We have not had a problem with predators except for when we let them free range. The dogs do not bother them as i taught them not to. I look forward to any suggestions you may have! Please add diagrams &/or photos so i can show hubby what to do. I will try to add pics of what we have in a little while. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland Co. Ohio!!! You would probably get more replies on your coop problem if you post the question in the "Coop & Run - Design, Construction, and Maintenance" Forum. To get there just click on Forum at the top of the page and then scroll down until you see "Coop & Run - Design, Construction, and Maintenance". Then start a trend on that forum. Hopefully that helps.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. Wheaties

Wheaties Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Chattanooga, TN
    Welcome aboard BYC! Nice folk on here! I am in lower East TN in Chattanooga! I know exactly where Seymour is and love visiting the Great Smokey Mountains! Hope you enjoy the site!

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member