Hello from East Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shannacrew, Feb 23, 2013.

1. shannacrew

shannacrew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Hi! This is our 2nd attempt at raising chickens. A couple years ago we lived in the country on several acres that backed a huge forest. Sadly, we lost all of our birds to predators. We learned that raccoons are amazingly deft at pulling out staples, possums can drop from overhead trees, packs of stray dogs can demolish most anything, and coyotes are in fact wily! Not to mention SNAKES than can eat a 4 month old chicken! My mom joked that we should put a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) sign over our coop :-( We have since moved and now have a fenced yard in a neighborhood where I expect our predators to be limited to raccoons, possums, the occasional snake, and our neighbor's tom cat. I'm also building a much more fortified coop and run this time around.
    We have 3 children, 10, 5, and 2 (two girls and a boy in the middle). They are very excited about their new pets! My oldest is wary of getting attached after the previous experience (she had a hen that would come to her and ride around on her shoulder that was killed) but is still enjoying our new chicks. We purchased 4 Easter Eggers, 1 mixed red, 1 mixed pullet from Tractor Supply about 10 days ago. We are very excited about having 'urban' chickens, and look forward to learning a lot from BYC!

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC
    Wow, you have had some bad luck with predators :( Wishing you the best on your new "fortified" coop and new babies. I had to build mine like fort knox too. It is well worth it

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, shannacrew, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Sorry to hear your first flock was taken by predators. Hope your second time around goes better. Have fun and enjoy your birds.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your losses. Hopefully things will go well for you this time round!

6. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    [​IMG] from Northern CA

7. shannacrew

shannacrew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm off to the lumber store for supplies to start my coop. I've been both educated and inspired by the coop section here! This time around: screws not staples, hardware cloth, buried apron, fully enclosed run. There is so much wonderful info on this forum, so glad to have found you :) I will post pictures once I've reached my count and have made some progress on my coop, would love to have it vetted before time to put the chicks outside.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hopefully you have the predators figured out. Welcome to BYC.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by