1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Eastern Kentucky!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeyLady, Apr 20, 2012.

1. HeyLady

HeyLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi. My name is Leah and my husband, daughter, and I live in Eastern Kentucky and love all animal-related things. We love the outdoors, and we love to spend family time. Thankfully, we are blessed to have careers which allow a lot of time at home. We are currently at a point in our lives where we are going through quite a few major changes this summer... graduating from grad school, purchasing our first home, and hopefully beginning the process to adopt a child. In the midst of all of this, we've managed to keep our heads.

So, what brings me to BYC? Last weekend, my family took a trip to a farmers market where we decided not to bring any animals home because of everything going on in our lives right now. Still, we thought it would be fun and there are always more than just animals to buy. So, we went and up until the end, we did great... no animals... until just before we left, we were nearly through the gate when we realized that a man had chased us down and handed our two year old daughter a baby chick, only to disappear back into the crowd. Our daughter is exceptionally gentle with all living things, and she immediately asked me to help her. So, I knelt beside her and held the little chirping ball of fluff, with no chicken experience whatsoever, and I had no idea what I should do. Then, my husband decided that we should just keep it, and since we were already at the gate, we left. We went straight home and put the little noisemaker into an animal carrier, and then headed off to Tractor Supply to get chick starter and feeders. Luckily, it was 85 degrees that day, so it didn't hurt the chick to be left on our enclosed outdoor porch.

Now, I still know very little about chickens. And I'm hoping you all can help me. I have no idea if a single chick can even live without the company of others, and I'm afraid we may lose it, but so far, I've managed to keep it growing for almost a week. And that's our story.

I'll post all of my questions in another thread. Just wanted to introduce us and our baby chick and say hello. :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. LoweBow

LoweBow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Welcome from Wisconsin.......Enjoy your new baby. [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Your chick will need 2or3 buddies to ensure that it develops normally, preferably as soon as possible.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. ishism

ishism Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Hello from Oregon! Welcome

9. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps