Hello from Ecuador!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by malacatos hen, Oct 30, 2012.

1. malacatos hen

malacatos hen New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Malacatos, Ecuador
    Hi to all the chicken and various bird lovers. My husband and I have been in Ecuador for about 14 months now and are getting our property set up for our house and farm. I am semi-new to chicken raising, just know what my mom and grandmothers did. There are a lot of chickens here but my Spanish is limited and don't know much about the breeds available here and what disease precautions they need. The climate in this area (Malacatos) is great! Never gets really cold or really hot (65f to 80f year round). Sun is intense since we are a mile high but animals seek the shade at peak hours. The neighbors chickens free range and roost where they want and seem to do well. I would like a large pen/yard for mine and let them roam as well. When they are chicks and get used to going into a house at night (with tasty treats) will they retain that returning instinct? Anyone with info is appreciated. Glad to be aboard!!
    Kris

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

When you first place them in the coop keep them inside for about a week to allow them to learn where they sleep, after that they should return to roost every night.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG] from Idaho!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and welcome from NC

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hey Kris. Welcome to BYC from The Heartland of Kentucky! Sure, they will return to the coop. When you first get your chickens leave them inside the coop for a period of a couple weeks and when you let them out they will return to the coop to roost nightly.

[​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kris, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck in your chicken raising endeavors!!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

10. Welcome to BYC from the Inland Empire of Southern California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by