Hello from England!! Can you help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shellbou, Jun 23, 2010.

1. shellbou

shellbou New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

Ok, so i'm from England and have been reading/lurking here for ages! What a fab forum you have. [​IMG]

I wonder if any of you can help me with these guys? My sons school hatched some eggs for a project and planned to
    give the chicks back to the farm where they purchased the eggs when they were a few weeks old.

We had been thinking about getting chickens for ages so I asked if we could have 3, and now they are home with us!

The school have no idea what breed they are so I thought i'd ask you guys, although it may be a long shot as I think
    we have different breeds on this side of the pond?

The one I know for definite is #3, i'm told this is a Bluebelle (sometimes called Blue Ranger) hybrid which will grow up to look like this
    http://www.poshchicks.co.uk/chicken-breeds/hybrid-breed-chickens/bluebelle-chicken

I wonder if anyone has any idea about the other 2?

I can find loads of pictures of fully grown chickens to compare, but not many of 3 week old chicks!

#1 - Started off all yellow with pale/peach legs. Now has white wing feathers with bits of black in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Started all black with slate on the fronts of the legs, now has black wing feathers with bits of white in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 Our Bleubelle, imaginatively called... Bluebelle [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry if the pics are too big!! [​IMG]

Thanks guys

Michelle

2. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    pics are perfect. #2 looks like a Barred Rock

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I think you have two of the three identified, your blue ranger and the barred rock. But as you said, different breeds different parts of the world, and even like colors are called different things. So on the first light colored one, I can't even hesitate a guess. Perhaps if you direct this on a thread noting your country and need for ID'ing a chick, that may get better responses from those on your side of the pond who are more familiar with your breeds. Wish I could be of more help, sorry I'm not. Good luck in identifying the 3rd mystery chick. [​IMG]

4. Pic 2 is a Barred Rock [​IMG]

5. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Or... if you know of the hatchery where these came from, visit that site or contact them directly to try to narrow down the possibilities. The hatchery/farm they came from should know what they should be.

6. shellbou

shellbou New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies!!

I took your advice and called the farm that they came from. (Why didn't i think of doing that myself??) [​IMG]

The ONLY white birds they have there are Light Sussex,
    so that's what #1 must be.

Thanks for all your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by