Hello from England, Uk!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cupcakes, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Cupcakes

Cupcakes New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    Hello!
    I found this forum after googling several different chicken queries that I had.

We got our first hens a week ago. We have two 16 week old pekin hens, both lavender, one a frizzle and one a smooth. Their names are Martha (frizzle) and Margaret (smooth). I've also got two young daughters aged 3 and nearly 2 who were the reason behind the chickens - I wanted them to have the responsibility of a 'pet' but wasn't keen on the traditional animals.

We have an A-frame 8 foot coop and run built by my brother-in-law who also bought and hatched the chicks for us. He has 30 or so chickens of his own and was happy to look after our babies until we were ready for them.

I've got loads of questions because although my BIL means well I get the feeling that he raises his chickens in the way that's easiest for him and he has never mentioned things that I have been finding out about on the internet (grit, nesting boxes etc) so I am here to find out how to make my chickens the happiest chooks around. My toddlers are besotted with them and we spend a lot of time in the garden watching them <3

[​IMG]

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Cupcakes!! Now I want one!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

5. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Ayeup! And [​IMG] from Oregon via Leeds

6. ChickenDayz

ChickenDayz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Mudford
    I've had my girls about 10 months and I have learnt so much from books, online and other people.... however I have found that you have to weigh up advice and take from it that which makes sense to you...

You are going to love having chickens and the thrill of that first egg is amazing... I started with three... one went broody this year and after I placed 11 fertile eggs under her she hatched 4 all by herself... so clever!

big chicken loving hugs from Somerset, England xx

7. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Hi ya!!! [​IMG]

I'm in the UK and have Pekins too! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad you joined the forum! [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC! Congratulations on your first flock. How very nice of your brother to take care of the chicks after hatching. It's very easy to quickly become attached, as chickens are fabulous pets! You will learn a lot from this site. Any question you have will be answered by others.[​IMG] It's nice to meet you.

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by