Hello from England!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChuckyDuck, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ChuckyDuck

ChuckyDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013
    Derbyshire, England
    Hi!
    My name is Lexie, and me and my family keep chickens and ducks and have done for around four years now.
    I decided to join this forum after some posts helped me with a few sickly fowls, and I wanted to be able to access help easier and also see if I can help some people as well!

We have about 20 chickens currently, and the breeds are: Rhode Island Red, Welsummers, Burford (sp?) Browns, Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantams, a range of Pekin Bantams, and one Lavender Frizzle. (who we aptly named Frizzle)

We also have around 20 ducks: Khaki Campbells, Cayugas, Aylesburys, and one Magpie.

I absolutely LOOOOVEE chickens and ducks, they are so loving and some are like family. We breed them when we can, and my avatar is a Khaki Campbell we bred called Taylor. She thought I was her mother - so much cuteness!

If anyone can give me any hints/tips on starting out here, I would appreciate it :)

It's very nice to meet you all!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Ducks and chickens! Wow, your place must be noisy at feeding time!

3. mmeyer

mmeyer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Hi from across the pond..and I dont mean your duck pond. My name is Manya from Southern New Jersey, USA. I've only have about a dozen chickens just for the eggs (but alas my three roo's days are numbered). And currently 8 guinea hens ( they run loose and eat the ticks )

It's 6:20 am here on the east coast. I happen to be up cause i'm at work finishing a double shift. Only 3 hours to go. (Did you know that the price of ethanol went up 50 cents. and in turn gas and oil shot up over 5 cents...sorry I digress.

You'll like the site there are some great chicken and duck lovers.

I also have 2 dogs three inside cats, and one elderly uncle.

Welcome to the backyard!!

4. ChuckyDuck

Dec 7, 2013
    Derbyshire, England
    It is! The ducks are the worst culprits for shouting AND shovelling the food down!

5. ChuckyDuck

Dec 7, 2013
    Derbyshire, England
    Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your roo's :( it's very sad when things like this happen.
    I've never heard about anybody keeping guinea hens over here, what are they like?

Hope you manage to stay awake for the duration of your shift - I can't imagine how hard that must be.

We also have a dog, a little terrier who likes to catch rats around the chickens. Although the chickens do bully him slightly!

Thank you for the lovely welcome!

6. ChuckyDuck

Dec 7, 2013
    Derbyshire, England
    That's lovely!
    Thank you!

7. joanne foreman

joanne foreman New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    Hi all! I am Joanne and my husband is Bill! We live in northern Minnesota. This is our first round with laying hens! Having fun w them!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. ChuckyDuck

Dec 7, 2013
    Derbyshire, England
    Lovely to meet you Joanne and Bill! That's great, hope you're loving it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by