Hello from Fairbanks, AK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FairbanksOrBust, Feb 14, 2012.

1. FairbanksOrBust

FairbanksOrBust New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    I am looking forward to breakup and spring. This will be my first time raising chickens "thoughtfully". Many years ago my mom "gifted" me with a basket of dyed easter chicks. One long summer of a backyard full of roosters and my home made coop and I would like to start my next chicken adventure with thought. With that in mind, I noticed that many other Fairbanksians are here and I look forward to learning from your community. Now a question for the locals: "Where do I start?"!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. You've come to the right place. Just pick a topic of the Forum page and click start a New Thread to ask any questions. :thumbsup

3. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I would love to visit Alaska, but definately too cold to live there for me. I was complaining it didn't get above 45F here today.

RobertH

4. FairbanksOrBust

FairbanksOrBust New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    I was hoping someone from Fairbanks would catch me. I need a timeframe that they order their chicks here so i know how long I have to rebuild the coop we discovered snow collapsed in the front yard and decide on the types. Something that used to be so simple in Oregon growing up is as complicated as everything else here in the Arctic. Thankyou for the warm welcomes and for those of you that don't like to get your feet cold, visit us in the summer, land of sun and mosquitos! Mosquitos BTW are the number one reason I talked husband into chickens in the first place. I pitched them as bug control organic style!

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

6. IM NOT THE ONLY FAIRBANKSIAN ON HERE! WOOHOO!!! THANK YOU FAIRBANKSORBUST! THANK YOU!!!!! [​IMG]

7. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    [​IMG] Fellow Alaskan XD

8. if your getting chickens to get rid of mosquitos, DONT GET CHICKENS!! Unless you have a weird hybreed chicken, chickens SUCK at eating mosquitos, get GUINEAS! their Great foragers and would be much better at getting rid of mosquitos, we've had chickens for a while and they're not good mosquito foragers

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by