Hello from Fillmore NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by New Chickenmama, Oct 17, 2012.

1. New Chickenmama

New Chickenmama New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi All, I am a brand new chicken mamma. My mother's day gift (to myself) a very small flock. I have a Silkie her name is Lafaunda, a Cochin banty his name is Kip, and a Gold comet and Penny is her name. My Silkie has just decided to go broody. I keep taking her off the nest and putting her in the yard and by the time I get to the house she is back on the nest. I've seen some great advice I am gonna try out. I just lost Cindy a beautiful Ameracauna, she had a respiratory problem and after trying a number of things she died. :(

2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and :welcome So glad you joined us!!! :weee So sorry to hear about your loss.

3. New Chickenmama

New Chickenmama New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks, she was such a great girl. I will be getting more in the spring. I made the mistake of buying adult birds from someone I didn't know and unknowingly bought a sick bird. I've disinfected the coop and all the water and feeders and nobody else is showing symptoms, so I am praying for the best.
    My new issue is my broody silkie (Lafaunda) is it to cold for her to hatch the eggs she is sitting on? They actually belong to Penny a gold comet. I think I should discourage her until spring. What do you think?

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    How is the weather where you are located?

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. New Chickenmama

New Chickenmama New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    It's gonna get real cold...pretty quick. I have a children's log cabin play house that has been converted into my hen house. I have electricity inside with a hanging light to ward off predators and to supply heat. It's in a fenced in chicken yard. The yard is about 22 feet x 12 feet.

7. New Chickenmama

New Chickenmama New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by