Hello from FL!

Chantillylace

Chirping
Jun 10, 2017
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I am not new to the bird world by any means, but am new to the duck world. We found a baby Muscovy duck, who we will be keeping. He/she is a little over 3 weeks old and already so big! We named him Petri, and we just adore him. He has a diaper which has sure made our lives easier!

Pics...we need pics of a baby ducky in diapers.
How cute!

Welcome to BYC.

IMG_6094.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6113.JPG
    IMG_6113.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6167.JPG
    IMG_6167.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6200.JPG
    IMG_6200.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6357.JPG
    IMG_6357.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6687.JPG
    IMG_6687.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6757.JPG
    IMG_6757.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 3
Oh my, what a beautiful duckling, and how fast it grew. You may like to post on the "duck thread," for duck specific questions.
I must confess "Chantilly Lace," brought back a lot of old memories:

"Chantilly lace, and a pretty face, with a pony tail hanging down. A wiggle in her walk, a giggle in her talk....." Ok, so I am outed, I am a genuine OLDIE

We love the pond full of about 15 Muscovy ducks in our development. We were watching a momma Muscovy duck who was sitting in her eggs in my bushes for about a month. The male would faithfully guard her while laying every single day. She lays eggs there twice a year and never once have the eggs hatched. Something gets to the eggs and eats them each time right after she finishes laying them all, so I didn't expect much this time.

But one day I came home from work, and looked in to check on them like I always did, and there was no momma and no babies, and some empty egg shells. There were 4 unhatched eggs and one egg, baby Petri, hatching all alone. We kept an eye on him until he hatched, and finally hours later he hatched! We expected the mom to come back for the baby, but she never did. We searched everywhere for the family for a week until we gave up. We are thinking he was a late hatchling or she was chased off my other ducks, it's a competitive pond. The wildlife care center didn't want to take a "non native invasive species" and instructed us to let nature take its course. And so that is how we end up with a baby duck!

Last edited:
Oh my, what a beautiful duckling, and how fast it grew. You may like to post on the "duck thread," for duck specific questions.
I must confess "Chantilly Lace," brought back a lot of old memories:

"Chantilly lace, and a pretty face, with a pony tail hanging down. A wiggle in her walk, a giggle in her talk....." Ok, so I am outed, I am a genuine OLDIE

That exactly where the nickname comes from. Everyone sang that song to me as a child. I hated it then but it grew on me :).

We love the pond full of about 15 Muscovy ducks in our development. We were watching a momma Muscovy duck who was sitting in her eggs in my bushes for about a month. The male would faithfully guard her while laying every single day. She lays eggs there twice a year and never once have the eggs hatched. Something gets to the eggs and eats them each time right after she finishes laying them all, so I didn't expect much this time.

But one day I came home from work, and looked in to check on them like I always did, and there was no momma and no babies, and some empty egg shells. There were 4 unhatched eggs and one egg, baby Petri, hatching all alone. We kept an eye on him until he hatched, and finally hours later he hatched! We expected the mom to come back for the baby, but she never did. We searched everywhere for the family for a week until we gave up. We are thinking he was a late hatchling or she was chased off my other ducks, it's a competitive pond. The wildlife care center didn't want to take a "non native invasive species" and instructed us to let nature take its course. And so that is how we end up with a baby duck!

You did a kind deed and have a wonderful bird to show for it!

Back
Top Bottom