Hello from Florida!!! Others in SFLA here???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KatOttesen, Apr 3, 2016.

1. KatOttesen

KatOttesen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Redlands, Florida
    Hubs & I finally have our little 1.5 acre farm out in the Redlands wayyyy west outside MIAMI Florida. We have 32 lovely little chicks & are just staring out with them. Americuans, Barred Rock, Buff Orphingtons, Easter Eggers, Red Production & Salmon Favorelles. They are all a weeks and 2 days old and doing well. I am a crazy researcher & planner! I've trolled here for months, own all 3 of the referred to chicken books, have a ton of chicken stuff & still don't know squat! LOL. I'm a severe victim of chicken math and my flock will literally double in June with my order from Cackle! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My hubs & I are experienced with livestock. Infact he went to farming school in Denmark. And from a family of butchers so we will have some chickens raised for meat as well! I have a 13 yr old son just starting high school 2 step kids 10 & 14 but the live in Denmark. We expect to have a few sheep, our 2 cats, 2 dogs & a young Quarter Horse and probably a pig toon LOL.
    My fencing has electric top & bottom & we expect to free range most days the weather allows!

We plan of having 2 coops so they can choose who they like and we can sort out the bullies or sick. And of course a dog crate for isolation for illness or social reform LOL as I recently read here. I'm thrilled to finally be a member and can't wait to meet talk & talk some chicken! Here's a few of my flock
    Ms Loretta Lynn
    [​IMG]
    My Barred Rocks & Americunas on their very first excursion to the great lawn! [​IMG][/IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home, welcome to BYC, and good luck with your 'mini farm' and flock.

3. Tinman53

Tinman53 Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2016
    Welcome to Florida. Have fun with the chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You've gotten some nice breeds

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] -great to have you onboard. Congrats on your new chicks. Its always comforting to know that nobody is immune from chicken maths [​IMG] Theres lots of info and great members here so make yourself at home and enjoy.

all the best
    CT

6. KatOttesen

KatOttesen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Redlands, Florida
    Thanks y'all so much! :) I am so excited about the breads I have too! :) my next order I went a little fancy and have some More French breeds coming as well as a few white egg layers too! I also forgot that my current flock has both Golden & Silver wyandottes !!!! I didn't mean to forget you ladies! Mama loves you! LOL! In fact my son just names the 3 little silver wyandottes- he said they look like Cookies and Creme ice cream sooooooo we have Cookie, Anne & Cream! Our trio of silver wyandottes!!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Come say hello on our state thread! Just type Florida in the search box and the FL state thread should come up in the results.

Glad to hear the entire family is enjoying the chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by