Hello from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The Beach Bum Chicken, May 29, 2017.

1. The Beach Bum Chicken

The Beach Bum Chicken Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    Hello my name is Scott. Let me start off by saying this forum has been a great help in getting, and raising our first chickens. My wife and I have always said we wanted to get chickens, so after I got of the Army we were lucky enough to move to a city here in Florida that allows up to four chickens. After doing the research, building the coop, and finding a local farm that sold chicks the rest is history. We ended up with a plythmoth rock, wyandotte, rhode island red, and australorp. Our daughter loves helping with care of the hens, and our dog has become their protector. It is a choice we galdly made, now that they are about 4 month old we can see that each hen has their own personality, and we are waiting patiently awaiting our first eggs.

BiggJohnn and Mace Gill like this.
  2. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Welcome! I'll lay money the Australorp lays first ;) ... but I'm biased :D

The Beach Bum Chicken likes this.
  3. The Beach Bum Chicken

May 29, 2017
    I would not be surprised about that, she is the smartest one out of the flock.

Mace Gill likes this.
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join us! Ahh, you have some of my favorite breeds! What color Wyandotte and Plymouth Rock did you get? Please make yourself at home!

The Beach Bum Chicken likes this.
  5. The Beach Bum Chicken

May 29, 2017
    Thank you, I hope to keep learning more about chickens by joining BYC. The Wyandotte is black and gold, and the Rock is black and white.

Chicken Girl1 likes this.
  6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the chicken keeping adventure! Keeping chickens is a wonderful family project, I am so glad that your daughter is finding such joy in caring for your birds.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! You are going to enjoy those home-grown eggs!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I bet on the Australorp too !! Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by