Hello from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alumentum, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Alumentum

Alumentum Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Fernandina Beach Florida
    My name is Krista and I hail from Fernandina Beach Florida, a tiny but, super cool island.

I've never raised a chicken but, I like animals. I currently have 2 dogs, a cat, and a large saltwater fish tank(which I love). Again, never raised a chicken but, I raised a mallard duckling a few years back and she comes to the same pond behind my house every winter. I am 18 and living at home while getting ready to start college and the idea of keeping chickens has floated in my mind for a few years now. Never asked my mom until last night which she wasn't thrilled about lol. However, I think I can maybe talk her into it if I can find if it is even legal to own them.

That being said, I also found this really funny video of a rooster that reminded me of a death metal singer I liked. http://www.facefou.com/videos/watch-3553

Anyways
    , thanks for the welcome and if you have any ideas on how to help me out with the politics(with the city and my mother) that'd be great.

2. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    With the city I would follow the theory: "It's always better to ask forgiveness later than permission first".

With mom, I can't help you there.

3. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I am not at all good at politics or mothers. [​IMG]

but I am glad you are researching it first. Going to Jax or Gainesville for college? if you are going to commute the I can see having chickens, but if you are going AWAY, please don't do that to your mother. She needs to want to raise chickens if you are headed to MIT or California.

Welcome to BYC. Maybe you can hang around, get your mom on board and really enjoy the entire chicken thing before you get any chickens.
    I try to be up beat and encouraging all the time, and I hope my welcome isn't a downer... but please be fair to your mom, if she is the one that is going to be rearing up a bunch of chickens after you leave for college.
    She loses a daughter and gains some chickens. not a fair trade. but she'll think of you DAILY! [​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

Try looking up zoning laws on your city/county website. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Hi neighbor...Camden County here.

7. Alumentum

Jun 19, 2011
    Fernandina Beach Florida
    Quote:Going to Jacksonville(kinda). It's about an hour drive to campus and my mother has made it clear I will stay home during until I have an associate's degree lol. I think she is concerned over having to care for them. My siblings randomly get pets and usually my mother ends up taking care of them or having to rehome them. However, I've never had her care for my tank, my dog( the bigger one, Davidson) nor the duck when I had it. MAYBE, that could help? lol anyways, thank you all for the welcome.

I've googled a lot for laws and I can't find anything specific or anything that talks about animals at all. Just stuff liked 'dogs have to be leashed' and things of that sort. I've looked for city and country laws and not having much luck : (

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have been searching your city website and could not find anything about chickens. I have to leave now but I did find a zoning map for your area. Figure out what your property is zoning assignment is and go from there.
    http://www.fbfl.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=195

9. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG] from NW Tennessee....
    Can't help you with mothers... I am 41 and my mother found out I had chickens last week... she now calls me the "idiot" daughter... Thankfully she is laughing about it and talks about her childhood chicken experiences. She cannot figure out for the life of her, why I have silkies.... but they are so darn cute.

10. Alumentum

Jun 19, 2011
    Fernandina Beach Florida
    Lol, my mom told me a story about a pet chicken she rescued while working for Tyson when she was young. Apparently the chicken ran into the wrong grandma and ate that grandma's seeds. Thus, after dinner that night the chicken had mysteriously ran away...lol.

Anyways, I have found a code that says it is prohibited to own farm livestock without a written request for a permit that is granted. This request has to be made to the city manager so, what sort of things might keep this from working out? Ie; noise, sanitary issues, ect?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by