Hello from Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DepotMudilk, Aug 13, 2013.

1. DepotMudilk

DepotMudilk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Ive come to this site dozens of times and you all have answered many questions so I decided to join.I have a small flock which i started in Feb of this yr. 1 BO 1 R[​IMG]IR 1 plymouth rock 2 red stars & 2 ducks. A pekin and a blue swedish or blue swedish mix? Recently lost a BO & Rock to a coyote or fox. I look forward to your advice! If anyone can help ID the duck id appreciate it

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!! Good luck to you and your fowl!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]time to beef up security, since the fox or coyote was successful, it will be back for more meals. Do you know how they predator got in? Or do you free range? If so that's one of the consequences unless you have a livestock guardian dog with your flock.

8. DepotMudilk

DepotMudilk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Their coop is in a large fenced area over 300' its a pretty heavily wooded area. The two chickens actually flew over the fence to eat some fruit on the other side. They had just layed our 1st eggs 3 days before! They were killed right against the fence. We found our rock half eaten & buried next to a burrow deeper into the woods but not far from their pen. never found our buff. We cleared a barrier of woods all the way around the fence. Hightened the fence and just recently put a hot wire on the outside of the fence around the top & bottom. Ive been bringing our dogs around that area alot hoping it will deter them further. I also clipped the high flyers wings. Is there anything else we can do to keep them away? I think it was probably a coyote as I saw one several months ago. but the burrows seem small. Any additional help is appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by