Hello from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AmandaRow, Dec 6, 2014.

1. AmandaRow

AmandaRow New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    HI, I am still kinda new to the chicken owning. We have 4 hens that we rescued in May after their owners moved and left them locked in their cage. We went and rescued them. I already had fenced run and a coop and what I consider a coop that also has 8 nesting boxes. I plan on adding 10 more chicks to our group in about 2 to 3 weeks. We will keep the babies in the house for a while. I still have a lot to learn.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad you were able to rescue your neighbor's hens. Be sure when you get ready to introduce the new chicks to the flock to do so very slowly and carefully. There is a good article on introducing new chickens to an existing flock at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens did you get from your neighbor, and what kind of chicks do you plan to get?

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    How great of you to rescue them!

4. AmandaRow

AmandaRow New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    I know that one of the ones I rescued is a buff brahma. The other 3 I have no idea still. My Buff Brahma is smaller then the others but all 4 are pretty small from what I have been told. I plan on purchasing our new babies from IdealPoultry.com just their standard assortment of pullets. My plan is to get 10 new babies. Thank you so much for the article that was going to be one of my questions was how to introduce them to the group.

I do have 1 question. Even though I have had my babies since about My we have still been working to fix the whole coop, nesting boxes, and run area. My plan tomorrow is to finish the nesting boxes. I just read about using Straw in them, but can we use Hay? I hope so since I bought the Hay today...

Thanks

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hay is generally not recommend because it is wet which can cause respiratory issues as well as mold growth. But if the hay you bought was dry then it should be fine.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. The first breed I ever had were Brahmas (about 50 years ago), and they were gentle giants. Brahmas are slow to mature, so your Buff Brahma may eventually catch up with the others and pass them. I would suggest using pine shavings instead of hay for the nesting boxes for the reasons that Mountain Peeps stated. Good luck with your flock.

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The Learning Center is a great resource that will answer many of your questions. Enjoy the site!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You can use wood shavings, grass hay, straw or even sand in your nest boxes. I am a huge fan of sand and use it everywhere....nest boxes included. LOL

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by