Hello from foggy Seattle!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cascade, Jan 17, 2014.

1. cascade

cascade New Egg

Jan 17, 2014
    Hello from foggy Seattle!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I've come to BYC quite a bit for research, but figured I'd get the most out of joining the community and participating [​IMG]

I don't currently have chickens, but the plan is to start a small flock of [probably] Wyandottes this spring. I had a few Rhode Island Reds as a kid and have more recently raised Cayuga and Indian Runner ducks. I love ducks, but am ready for a less water-loving (and muddy) flock of birds!

I'm particularly interested in learning about the particular challenges of raising chickens and managing a healthy coop in a rainy, wet environment. I have not yet finalized the coop plans, but I'm starting to form some ideas based on the great information here on BYC.

I enjoy traveling, fishing, and gardening, with a particular interest in backyard farming. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]My son sent me a photo of the fog in Bellevue but, it's probably better than the several inches of snow we are supposed to get today - whoopee [​IMG] A great read is the Learning Center. Raising backyard chickens is another good forum to dive into.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You might start here in the learning center of BYC for some tips and hints on raising your new flock....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And you also might consider using sand in the runs and even the coop. I am a huge sand fan. Sand stays dry, doesn't turn to mud and is soft of the foot pads. It stops smells and is very easy to clean. Keeps the flies away too. There are several threads on using sand. Here is a very good thread to read thru...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Wyandotte breed-- its my favorite breed of chicken.

5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member