Hello from Fort Collins, Colorado!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BlueJaye, Mar 7, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    Hey all! I am completely new to chickens! So new, in fact, that I don't even own any yet! My husband and I have 2 indoor cats (Bullet and Frisby - both rescues) and a 13-year old Rat Terrier named Dodger, who thinks he rules the place!

We are looking at getting 2-3 girls in April and building a coop of our own! We don't have tons of space, but our back yard is FULL of weeds, so we are thinking of letting them free-range but ONLY when we are there to supervise. I've been looking at HUNDREDS of coop/run designs online and don't know which way to go! We don't want anything too tall, but definitely want good protection from all types of predators!

Any help would be awesome, and I'd love to hear from some other Coloradoans!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. You'll find many other Colorado members in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Search for the Colorado state thread - maybe someone will end up living near you.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
  6. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    hi and [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BlueJaye, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you are on the right track with the BYC research you have done! Good luck to you and have fun!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Why don't you ask in the coops section for ideas? Here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

The coop I'm using isn't too tall, inside, but it's raised off the ground, which makes cleaning it much easier! You may want to keep that in mind. Also build a nice big coop, for when you add chicken later. Not "if", "when" [​IMG] Predator-wise I'd recommend hardware cloth. It really helps slow down the beasties, especially raccoons!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your planning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by