Hello From France, Everyone

Jkhedin

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2018
Bourgogne, France
Hello! I am an American, retired. I moved to the beautiful Burgundy countryside three years ago. I got into chickens on an impulse after watching my nephew-in-law in Washington State have lots of fun with his chickens. I now really enjoy keeping chickens and built both of my coops from kits. My nephew recommended this website to me.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, I’m fairly new, having purchased my first chicks in June, 2016.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I originally bought six three-day old female chicks, then bought two young pullets the following summer (one of whom is now in my freezer) and just recently bought six more new chicks last month. Lost one hen to a fox last year.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Light Sussex - sweeties, and smart!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
My nephew-in-law, who has chickens and turkeys.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Motorcycling, gardening, cooking, golf, knitting, spinning wool...

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share
Bought a wonderful old stone house here in Burgundy after visiting a local Christian monastery called Taizé for several years in a row. I’m retired and I love living in France and traveling around Europe (when I can find a chicken sitter!).

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

I'm down in the Dordogne and I'm very new to chickens. I got 3 babies in December, 2 silkie mamas in February, have 6 week old chicks and 2 weeks old chicks from them and waiting on some other chicks from one of my original girls due Saturday (split hatch - 3 are under her and 5 in the incubator!). It is a bit chaotic but I'm loving it! You are the first active person in France I've found (lots of old posts!) so will love to chat about products as I'm still trying to work out what to use / what is available etc. I'm finding my local agricultural co-op the best place to buy feed but haven't really stocked up on all the other bits and pieces that people have access to in the states and we maybe do here but I dont' know about them yet!

hi.gif

Back
Top Bottom