Hello From GA! Newbie with questions about chicks...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katiedarling, Mar 20, 2015.

1. katiedarling

katiedarling Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    getting a cold? can that even happen?

If it can, what's the proper thread to post questions in?

Today is day 7 with 4 BOs, now 9 days old. We're first timers over here. I hate that my first post on BYC has to do with possible illness, but anywhoo, I look forward to all the awesome information that everyone shares here! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

If you have chick issues, you can either post in the Raising Baby Chicks section or the Emergency section if it is something that needs quick attention.

Are they dry sneezing? Chicks do sneeze a lot when they are young. They are molting like crazy and will molt about 6 or 7 times before they are mature to begin laying. The feather shafts have all those feather skins, for a lack of a better word, and these particles will make them sneeze. The bedding as well can be dusty and add to the problem.

If they are wet sneezing, this could be a problem if the sneeze is gummy or thick. This would indicate a bacterial or viral infection of some sort. Antibacterial meds would be used for things such as this.

However feel free to ask any questions you have around the forums. Make yourself at home here.

Good luck with your new babies and welcome to our flock!

3. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    Thank You! I'm glad I remembered BYC. Years ago when we were first thinking of raising chicks, I found all of the info to be quite helpful. It's just been so long that I forgot what I had read. It's mostly dry sneezing, which I figured was the dust and bedding and such. But one of the girls is sneezing more often and sometimes I think I see a clear fluid in one nostril(super tiny) but she moves so dang fast I can't tell. I will go do some searching, I am reading all the new member info now. Yesterday I noticed it around the same time and by this morning she was fine. I chalked it up to getting water in there. There's a ton of info here, so I am sure I'll figure it out pretty quick. [​IMG]

4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!!!!!!!!!!! You should check out the Yo Georgians thread. I think you are probably right about the dust and bedding, if they are eating and drinking normally and active, I wouldn't be too worried.

5. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]

Looks like you are already getting questions answered! [​IMG]

6. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    She IS the one who's feathering out faster than the others, too. Her energy is fine, she's eating and drinking. I'm gonna research a little more and I will definitely check out the Yo Georgians thread. I was not aware of it until now. For now I'm gonna monitor her and if the fluid gets worse or changes, I'll take action.

7. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    Also, if anyone is on Instagram with their chickadees, share your @name. Mine is @proudpolicewife. It's mostly just pictures of the rabbit. And now, the chickens. LOL

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Lots of times after chicks or chickens get a drink of water, their nostrils will run wet. Sounds like your baby is perfectly fine. :)

9. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    Yes, TwoCrows! I am beginning to think the same. I'm pretty sure if I had kids, I'd be the annoying helicopter mom. LOL
    I check on them hourly when I'm indoors. Much to the rabbit's chagrin. They're stealing her thunder right now.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by