Hello, from Garden Valley, CA!

Finnoula

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
I've had chickens for several years now and still have a lot to learn - ongoing process, I know. I have 5 hens and 2 roosters. I've got 2 Rhode Islands, a Speckled Sussex, 2 Australorps and 2 rescues - Leghorn hybrids from a local poultry farm that were heading for the grinder. They were miserable looking, but you should see them now - beautiful and amazingly they moved to the top of the pecking order at first introduction to the other hens.

Found out about BackyardChickens through some poultry publications I subscribe to.

My big interest, other than hanging out with my chickens, is the work I do with a wildlife rescue organization in my area. Birds, of course are my special focus.

A kind of endearing and personal fact I'd like to share is the special relationship that exists between my small dog and my large rooster, the Australorp. They hang out in the garden together and you can find them on a sunny day, lysing side by side.

Looking forward to learning a lot!

welcome-byc.gif
from TN

Beautiful country you live in up North. I have a friend in Nevada City and have taken the scenic route home a few times through your neck of the woods. Nice to have other Californians here.

Welcome to BYC.

Welcome! I'm not too far from you in Auburn. Who do you do the wildlife rescue through? I have taken some classes but havent started any rescue yet. Cool about your dog and Australorp. My two australorp hens are my friendliest and let my dogs get close to them but they arent buddies hehehee

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom