Hello from Georgia! And question for you all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by midtownmom, Oct 30, 2016.

1. midtownmom

midtownmom New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Hey everyone! My name is Skylar, I'm from Atlanta, Georgia. I work on a couple farms around the city and this past summer I brought home three of the young RIR hens from one of the farms to come live with me! I am very new to raising chickens so I've got many questions to ask all of you chicken veterans. Out of my three girls, only one (Hazel) has starting laying so it has been very exciting over here lately! I decided to join BYC because one of my other girls, Cress, has an eye deformity and I want to know if anyone else has had this issue or see it before.
    She acts normal, eats and drinks with the other two...and even seems to be able to see from her funky eye. I have taken her to a vet and she told me it is something she must have been born with, but lately it seems so be getting slightly more bulgy and pink in the eye. I don't have the money to go back to the vet so I am hoping one of you could help me and just assure me that she will be okay.
    Here's a few pictures of her and her eye...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, Skylar, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I see you are from Atlanta, I have family in Stone Mountain, just a hop, skip and a jump from Atlanta! If you ever want to chat with fellow Georgians, you can find your state thread in this link.https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you. And about the hen, does she have eye worms? You might like to post your question about her in this page,https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. I have heard that a wet, warm chamomile teabag pressed against swollen eyes can help.....Also, if you are new to chickens, you might like to check out the learning center, here is a link to it:--http://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. Enjoy BYC!!

1 person likes this.
  3. midtownmom

midtownmom New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    @CuzChickens Thank you for your response! Stone Mountain is very close to me, and I work on a farm in Loganville so I pass it on my way to work. Small world. Thank you for the different threads, I will check those out! About Cress, she doesn't seem to have any worms that I have noticed, but I've been trying to check often. I'm just hoping that she isn't in any pain...I may try that chamomile trick though, thanks!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Yep, I know where Loganville is! Small world indeed. I didn't think it sounded like eye worms, just making sure that could be checked off your possibility list. I have heard chamomile works wonders, I hope it helps Cress!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Skylar, and :welcome! Happy you joined us! CuzChickens gave you great links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope she will respond to treatment. She looks like a real sweetheart . I know with human eyes, even the smallest injury is very painful. [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by