hello from Georgia I am a Newby here

mamatena

Hatching
Mar 12, 2015
Dalton, Ga.
My husband and I just started raising chickens a few
months back can anyone tell me how long the fresh egg will last and if cleaning them in soap and water is ok

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Fresh eggs will last up to 6 weeks or so in a refrigerator (use them faster if they aren't refrigerated). Cleaning isn't usually a good idea, because eggs naturally have a protective coating (called the "bloom") on the shell. When you wash eggs, you rub that off, which can let bacteria get in more easily. Usually, it is best to just dry-clean eggs and scrape off any dirt. If you do wash the eggs, use warm water. This is because cold water causes the shell pores to contract, pulling bacteria into the shell. Warm water makes the pores expand, preventing bacteria from coming into the shell.

Last edited:
Thank you so much ok I have another question we have 13 hens and 1 rooster how much should we be feeding them a day they look like they are losing weight.

Thank you so much ok I have another question we have 13 hens and 1 rooster how much should we be feeding them a day they look like they are losing weight.
You should be free-feeding them as much as they want to eat. If they still lose weight, they may have worms.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wyandottes X2 Let them free feed at all times. Hand feeding can lead to some not getting enough. The more dominant birds will eat the shier birds food. So always leave food out. Let them decide how much to eat and when.

If they are still losing weight, as Wynadottes has suggested, worms are a big possibility. Rounds worms live in the intestines and eat the food the bird has consumed. Not only can the bird starve to death but the worms can impact the intestine killing the bird.

If you free range, once a year is a good idea for a worming schedule. Maybe even twice a year if you have a lot of issues with worms. You can take a poop sample into any vet. They can check for worms just as they do for dogs or cats. Then you know if you are dealing with them and what type of worm they have.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wyandottes7 and TwoCrows have answered your question very nicely.

Glad you joined!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom