Hello from Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by courtisabel, Jul 2, 2016.

1. courtisabel

courtisabel New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    Lilburn, Georgia
    Hi there! We just placed our first order of chicks! We are super excited to teach our 2 kids how to care for animals and about everything chickens have to offer! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future so I'm looking forward to being a part of this awesome Forum. We are starting with a buff orpington, a black australorp, and silver laces wyandotte, a black sex link, and 2 barred rocks. Any tips for beginners? Things to avoid? Things to do? Beyond the normal, obviously.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you and family to be getting your chicken adventures started :D Do you have a date for when your chicks will arrive? My best advice would be for you to check out our learning Center ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Lots of super articles there that will really help you out.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture, I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!!!

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] Sounds like a fun flock! And if you ever have any questions, always feel free to ask-- I'm sure anyone would be happy to help! Thanks for joining us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at the Backyard chickens flock.

9. roadkinggirl63

roadkinggirl63 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2015
    Glad to have a fellow Georgian here!!! I am on my second year with my 13 Red Stars. I wanted to build a little attached brooder on the side of our Taj-Ma-Cluk, just big enough for 5, to see how it would work. The next thing I know, my husband and his friend bring home 10 baby chicks. After that we went to a local hatcher and bought 10 Black Stars and 10 Cinnamon babies. Then he wants a bigger Taj-Ma-Cluk#2, so his friend is doing the building of that. The 10 were 1-2 weeks old bought on April 29, and the 20 came home as day olds a few days later. Today is the 13th of July, and they are still in Large dog crates in my basement. We have a large chain link fence in the back yard, and I got some of the plastic fencing and step in posts and made them runs in the back yard. After they had integrated with each other, I put plastic fence up along the chain link fence with plastic cable ties and they are free ranging the back yard. I take them out every morning, with their food and waterers. I took the plastic container of the food/waterer and I drilled a hole and placed the nipple waterer in it. I then drilled a hole across where the screw in part is and I ran a cable tie thru that so it could be hung from top of crate. So, from little chicks they have been using the nipple waterers. As it starts to get dark, I have 30 Chickie Babies by the basement door raising a terrible ruckus. Wait too long and there is a riot!! I secure the stop on the screen door and they start marching in like a little army. I have had a few actually fly into which crate they sleep in. Even though they march in, it can be a circus trying to get them picked up and put in. Even though they are fine after being picked up, they are still spooked by the quick action of trying to catch them.

Oh, and last week, we heard this awful sound, like on of them was dying. It only happens a few times in the morning and is getting a little more defined every morning. Kind of like cock-a-doodle-do.
    Will let all of you know what I find out on that.
    Please pray that Taj-Ma-Cluk 2 is finished by the end of the weekend. I don't want to loose any more of my sanity!! I have little to start with!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by