Hello From Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MntEggrest, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MntEggrest

MntEggrest New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Hello[​IMG] I came to introduce myself and my new flock. We have some 4 and 5 week old buff orpingtons, lavender orpingtons, easter eggers, olive eggers, and french copper maran(s). We have a mystery one, she may be a olive egger, maybe maran...? ill post a picture sometime to find out her breed. We all live in NW Georgia on a small .25 acre lot; 12 chickens, 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 husband, 2 kids. These are our first ever chickens and we couldnt be anymore in love. Thank you for having me [​IMG]

2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    What an interesting mix. Did you pick them yourself?
    Just curious, what was the reason for each pick?

But why stop there? Tell us about the two cats and the dog.
    Breeds? Do they accept the chickens? Do the kids play with
    the chickens?

"Thank you for having me ".... No, it's thank you, for joining us.

Spook

3. smorris2

smorris2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    I'm new here too and new to raising chickens , I've had several questions and been very pleased with the quick and kind responses. Glad you joined as well

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MntEggrest [​IMG] Welcome!

When the times comes that you might need some opinions on breed and gender, this is a link to the Forum on which to post individual pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. MntEggrest

MntEggrest New Egg

Apr 19, 2017

It took ny husband and I a good month to 2 months to choose which breeds we would like to get. At first we wanted to get eggs and hatch them ourselves but just decided on getting 2 day old chicks from a hatchery. We wanted docile, good egg layers. We ordered 6. . . then we decided to get just one more ... that turned into getting 6 more. lol We have 4 buff orpingtons, 2 lavender orpingtons, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 french (black?) copper maran and, 2 (maybe 3) olive eggers. We definitely are excited for our rainbow of eggs at the end of the summer. They are all in the coop/run all of the time; our cats and dog just kind of watch from a far. Im sure they are just annoyed we added more things to 'their home'
    Our 2 year old son is in love with the "babies" and picks them up and carries them around, gently ... and often. And ill find my 13 year old daughter just sitting in the run covered in chickens like the pigeon lady from the movie Home Alone.
    We just love them! We could watch them dig for and catch worms all day...
    sometimes we do lol

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by