Hello from Georgia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jehuskey, Feb 20, 2015.

1. jehuskey

jehuskey New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    I am Jo Ellen and am just beginning to research growing chickens. I don't have any chickens and don't have a place to put them yet, but I have high hopes for this spring. I hope to begin an organic garden, 3 bee boxes, and chickens. So I've been taking some bee classes. I just need a home to take them to. Maybe in a couple months I will find something I like, but I need it to suit my garden, beez, and chickens, yes? So I'm researching all of these things that I might find a little place to put them. I would like colorful eggs for fun and regular eggs as well. I am thinking about growing chickens to eat. I've read and watched a couple videos about building a chicken coop and I think my son can do it for me.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Have you stopped by our learning center or coops pages yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens and our coops pages are filled with members coops. Some are easy to build and even have plans to follow...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Enjoy this new journey you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

3. savannahm0m

savannahm0m Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Savannah
    [​IMG]

What part of Georgia do you live? We are in the Savannah area, and have a small backyard flock. Bees fascinate me, but DH says NO. He's right...we don't have enough flyaway area. That's okay, he allows me my chicken obsession! Make sure you check out the "Yo Georgians" feed. You'll meet people from all over the state.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/121387/yo-georgians

1 person likes this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Definitely take a look at the good links that TwoCrows left you with! I hope you can get some chickens and bees soon. [​IMG]

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Greetings! Welcome to BYC! Feel free to ask any questions you may have! This site is a great resource, I'm sure you'll find answers to all you questions here. :)
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Jorjfdjungle

Jorjfdjungle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Gray, Georgia
    Welcome to BYC. Hope you get some chickens soon!! You will be glad you did.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. For colorful eggs, I would suggest Easter Eggers (commonly sold by hatcheries under the incorrect labels of Araucana or Ameraucana), which lay eggs in shades of blue, olive, green, beige, and occasionally even pale pink or gold. EEs are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens as she loves their colored eggs. Also, the chocolate eggs of the Marans, Welsummers, and Barnevelders are striking. In my opinion, their very dark brown eggs are the prettiest in the chicken world. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your bees and chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by