Hello from good ol Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsShananigans, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MrsShananigans

MrsShananigans New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Hi. I am new here. Actually, I have been visiting this site for awhile for information but just created a profile so that I can ask questions. I am fairly new to the whole chicken thing. I have had chickens since May. I started out with 4 little pullets from Atwoods and they disappeared that first night [​IMG] I went and got 4 more and then shortly after got a RIR rooster from craigslist. After my hens started laying, they disappeared one by one leaving me with my one RIR hen and my rooster. I then got 2 leghorns from a man on craigslist. So as of now I have 3 hens and a rooster in the coop outside. I also have 6 chicks in a box in the house that I hatched in the incubator. They were all born right before Christmas and they are very feisty. I still don't know what I am doing and am learning as I go. My RIR rooster seems to be sick. Is that common in the winter? He sounds like he has a cold or something. He eats and he drinks but he doesn't sound right. I try to pick him up and listen closer but he is mean!! He spurred the crap out of me when I tried to pick him up this morning. What do I do about him? Is this a wait and see type thing? I am very attached to all my chickens.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

It is not normal for birds to have respiratory infections. you may want to post his issue in the Injuries and Diseases section.

As far as his attitude, I would not tolerate having a mean rooster around at any time - he would be gone today if he went after me like that.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] As for the 'spurring' rooster, he will make great soup.

5. MrsShananigans

MrsShananigans New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I will post over there. Thank you guys for your replies. He wasn't mean when we first got him and I don't know why he turned mean recently. My kids won't even go in the coop anymore. If I can't get him to go back to his loving ways then I will have to get rid of him [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your problems and losses, but hang in there, things will come right. If you suspect the roo is sick you should keep him separate from your other chickens, otherwise he may make everyone else sick too.

Have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

There is some good info there on raising and keeping chickens that will hopefully answer some of your questions. Good luck and I hope your roo gets better soon and start behaving himself.

1 person likes this.
  7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. MrsShananigans

MrsShananigans New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by