Hello from Greenville SC

Tarnagolet

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2017
Hi every one. This site sure has a lot of new members...I guess its the season.
I recently moved from Los Angeles to a small city in SC. Good news is I love it here and now have a decent yard and can legally have chickens. (So sad I can't have a rooster...seriously if I have to listen to chainsaws and squirrels a rooster shouldn't bother anyone.)
Anyway as an avid gardner (just finished Clemson master gardner training!) I am a little hesitant to jump on the chicken wagon...but hereto learn and see if its right for me.

Look forward to trolling for a bit whole I learn. But please. It would only take a little nudge for someone who said just go for it/dive in/start...etc.
I may already have the bug. My only real concerns are cannabalism, dispatching, and the fact that my .33 acres is mostly shade and I may not want to share what sun I have for veggies with chickens!

Any thought for me to brood on are welcome.

Love y'all already!
Marie

Hello I'm sure the Carolina weather would be fine for chicks in the shade. I just got my 1st chicks. And I'm thrilled with them. This site is has a wealth of knowledge and gave me the push I needed to make the move. Good luck

Hi Marie and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. My opinion - of course you should give keeping chickens a go! (and nobody else will tell you any different here at BYC
smile.png
).

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
CT

G’Day from down under Marie
frow.gif
Welcome!

Nudge
wink.png

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
smile.png

Chickens can be very helpful to gardening, they can turn over and work the soil before you plant, and after harvest, they can take care of weeds and clean up the fallen veggies.
If you fence off your veggies, they should be okay. Some people also plant greens that chickens would like. They use planting boxes and run wire over the tops high enough to keep chickens from destroying the roots.

welcome-byc.gif

You might enjoy the gardening threads here on BYC, they're under the Miscellaneous forums. BYC also has a sister site you might like called TheEasyGarden.com (you can find a link to it at the bottom of this page).

It's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom