1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Hampton Bays, NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ClaudetteG, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ClaudetteG

ClaudetteG Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    Hampton Bays, NY
    Good morning and greetings from Eastern Long Island. We have 6 girls (I hope!) that are 6 weeks. I've been gathering information for awhile from BYC, so I suppose it's finally time to say hello. :)

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hello to you! And welcome to BYC, glad you joined us. What breed of chickens do you have?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Enjoy all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

4. ClaudetteG

Aug 20, 2014
    Hampton Bays, NY
    Hi! Well we ordered a Buff Orpington, a Black Australorp, a Light Brahma, a Silver Laced Wyandotte and two Americaunas. I think there may have been a mix up though, I don't think we actually have a light brahma, instead we have a mystery breed. I'm planning on taking some pics and starting a "what breed?" thread soon! We love them all though, no matter what they are! We are new to chickens but I can see how it gets addicting!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all addicted to chickens here. You have a great mix of chickens. The first chickens that I ever had (about 50 years ago) were Light Brahmas and they were gentle giants. When you post a pic of your supposed Light Brahma, we can ID her for you. Also, we can tell you whether your Ameraucanas are true Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. There is a good article explaining the difference at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. Black Australorps are my personal favorite, standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are very hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. ClaudetteG

Aug 20, 2014
    Hampton Bays, NY
    Thanks so much for the article link. I was quite confused about the EE-Auraucana-Ameraucana bit, and I think I've got it now ( by the way 2 EE's not Ameraucanas ) Everyone here has been so helpful! I posted my pics this morning on "what breed/gender" board and sure enough the BYC experts were a great help! Not a Light Brahma, but a Plymouth Barred Rock. I believe chicken math dictates that come spring I can get two light Brahmas to make up for the mix up this year! I'm learning quickly!thanks again, I feel so welcomed and I hope I'll be able to pass it along...

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by