Hello from Hattiesburg, MS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KelleyP83, Feb 5, 2013.

1. KelleyP83

KelleyP83 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    West Hattiesburg, MS
    Hi! I'm brand new. So new, in fact, that I do not yet possess any chickens, lol.

I've done extensive research and built my coop, nest boxes, a roost, a chicken tractor and an incubator (I like to be prepared and my husband's an Eagle Scout so he pretty much insists...) and plan to start my little brood this week. My mother in law has an impressive collection in North Alabama and I even slaughtered, cleaned, plucked and cooked two roos last month that she had gotten too annoyed with (they don't usually eat their birds, but these guys were real jerks and I wanted to know if I could handle the task if I'm ever faced with it. Apparently, I can, with an almost disturbing lack of issue).

I'm a little concerned about hawks and a lot concerned about heat. It gets pretty dang hot down here, but I know chicken keeping has been going on successfully in Mississippi since time out of mind so I feel like we'll figure it out. If anyone has suggestions for keeping the girls cool in the summer, I'd love to hear them, though I'm sure I can poke around and find a thread on the topic. They have plenty of shade in the coop, but I was hoping to part-time free range them when I'm home over the summer and can watch them while I'm in the garden, but there's not a lot of shade in the rest of the yard.

Anyway, hello! I'm looking forward to the (4 a.m.! what?!) chicken swap at Hub City West this Saturday. Also hoping someone will be willing to "swap" for money, since I have no chickens to offer!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. When it does get hot here, my chickens like drinking out of small buckets. They like to dunk their wattles in the cool water. :thumbsup

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You bring money, they will swap. My wife, the Princess, calls me 'The Boyscout" - you never outgrow that backgound, and that's a good thing. Welcome to BYC.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by