Hello from Heber City, Utah!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by unicornmomma, Nov 6, 2016.

1. unicornmomma

unicornmomma Just Hatched

Oct 5, 2016
    Utah
    I have long perused the forums (what a wealth of information!) but only just am getting around to the "new member post" thing.
    I am not entirely new to chickens-- I've cared for a friends while he was out of town, and I cared for a flock during my time working at a ranch, but this is my first time with a flock of my own.
    After purchasing the wrong coop twice, I finally got the perfect one, and it came with five lovely laying hens-- an easter egger, a salmon faverolle, two black sex links, and a rhode island red. Most are molting, so I'm only getting an egg or two a day, but they're sweeties and I love having them around the yard!
    I've also got a bunch of chickies in the brooder- I'm not planning on keeping all of them, but they're so fun right now! I've got two 2 week old black copper marans, and the rest are a month old (barnevelder, golden cuckoo marans, buff brahma, delaware, speckled sussex, and silver laced wyandotte). Aaaand I might be picking up a couple ayam cemani chicks this weekend but DO NOT tell the husband, haha.
    I'm wanting an egg rainbow, since my four year old daughter is so enamored with all the colors and it is one of her responsibilities to help care for them and collect the eggs. Ultimately, we hope to add a blue layer and an olive layer too. :)
    We love critters at our house and have ponies, dogs, a cat, and even some hedgehogs and lesser tenrecs! I love taking photos of my critters, so expect the occasional photo [​IMG]

dump of the birds. Anyhow-- thanks for answering my questions, and contributing to this wonderful resource and community.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sounds like you have the chicken bug, good and proper! Its always great to involve kids with looking after animals and i have no doubt that your daughter will do the same in 20 years time or so!

Whilst you may have some experience, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    :welcome

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, unicornmomma, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! Best wishes to you and your chickens. Sounds like you'll have lots of nice eggs. :)

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. We LOVE photos, so bring them on [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by