Hello from Holland Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HiddenChicken, Apr 20, 2012.

1. HiddenChicken

HiddenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Just introducing myself...and happy to find other people who LOVE chickens, too! :D

I just got my teeny-weeny flock yesterday...all four of them! lol I live in a suburb and can't have a "permanent structure" for the coop, so I'll be employing the chicken tractor method. My neighbors are going to be sooooo jealous! I'll give them some eggs, so when I'm out of town (not a lot), they'll watch the girls for me!

I got:
    1 California Grey Leghorn (Doris) ...got for prolific egg laying & lower food consumption
    1 Black Australorp (Thelma) ...got for good egg laying & beauty of bird
    1 Isa Brown (Louise) ...got for prolific egg laying & lower food consumption
    1 Ameraucana (Martha) ...got it b/c of the colored eggs. Named for Martha Stewart b/c waaaay back, she was the first person I ever heard from about "Easter eggers."

Is it bad that I named them? lol I think I can still dispatch & eat them when the time comes... I hope.

Thanks from the bottom of my chicken-loving heart for any and all advice I get in the days, weeks, months & years ahead! This place is a fountain of knowledge and I'm a thirsty girl!

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Yeah! You,be arrived! Come on over to the MI thread. You may remember me from family farm and home... Getting chicks for my broody with the bad eggs... She did not take the chicks... Gave them to my silkie, and she was happy to adopt.

anyway, come on over to the thread, you will like it there. I promise!

Nova

3. HiddenChicken

HiddenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, lady! Yeah, I remember you...good to have met you in real life! Now I can put a face with a "chicken handle." haha

I'm sure you'll see me around on the MI thread. I was just over there reading... Good info!

Take care..."talk" soon! ;)

4. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Welcome To BYC.. I Have Quite a few Chickens .. I Do not name all of them especially if I know some day I may Be Eating them But I can not help myself to Name most of them ! At this time I have over 20 Mature Hens and roosters and about 35 chicks .. the ones who look differant and have personalities that differ tend to get names I just can't Help my self : )

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Oh, we've never been able to eat the chickens that we named. :lol: Got too attached! But who knows, everyone's different. I love the name Doris, by the way. it's such an epic name. Glad to find so many other people who like it too. :p
    I hope you have many rewarding experiences raising your chickens, don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site! :D

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. ishism

ishism Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Hello from Oregon.

I avoid naming chickens, especially if they might end up in my stomach. But that's me. Have fun with your flock of four!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by