Hello from Hopkinton, Mass

coltrane

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to raising chickens and I read an article in today's Boston Sunday Globe where I was fortunate to discover this wonderful resource. I have a few very basic questions if anyone can help. Thank you!

1. Is it ok to start off with just 1 to 3 chicks?
2. Should we wait until spring? Is it ok to start now with temps lowering to high 30's and low 40's at night?
3. Will they destroy my lawn if I let them graze (penned in of course) during certian points of the day?
4. Breed recommendations?
5. Basic feed recommendations?
6. Can they eat from our large compost piles?

My wife, 3 year old son and I want to start off as simply as possible and hopefully its not too late in the year to begin......

Thank you in advance!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana!

I would get at least 6 because you may lose a few. One chicken is a lonely chicken. Plus they need the warmth from each other in this weather. A lot of people start them at this time of year but you must be willing to brood them indoors longer. Personally I would wait but that's just me. They will destroy the lawn, it just depends on how long you keep them in one spot.. I would stat them with chick feed until they reach POL. Mine are qlways in the compost pile but I don't put things like potato peelings in there because the alanine in the peels can be toxic to them. They also scatter it out. As far as breeds, you'll have to decide what you want that is cold hardy. There are too many to list here.
A good idea would be to go to the chicken FAQs area or use the search button and type in the questions you want answered and you can read thru other posts that have been discussed before. Good Luck

welcome-byc.gif

As said above 6 is a great amount to start with.

I think now is the time to get them that way by spring they should be laying, but they would need to be under heat through the winter months.

There is 2 things you can start them with feed
1 is medicated chicks starter or 2 is game grower crumbles

The medicated chicks stater helps fight of a disease called cocci, the game grower does not, but helps with boost to grow better.

Yes they will eat your lawn they love grass and bugs and love to dust bath , they eat at plants and vegies, if they free ranging they wont kill your lawn, but if penned up they will kill that area lawn.

And breeds, that depens on what your looking for,
for eggs?
for ornamental?
both?

Last edited:
thank you so much for the advice! As for the breed I guess we have some serious research to do, but egg quality would definitely be a start. Are there definitive personality differences too between the breeds?

Quote:
Imp- Have fun getting set up. Always so exciting.

ETA- Forgot to say "Welcome to BYC from an imp in Washington"

Last edited:
Hello, First let me say thay I am not going to give you advice because I just got my first two chicks last night. I understand your questions because I had the same one's myself..but too late they are here. I lost my mind at the fair yesterday. I went just to research bread types and next thing you know I am walking out of the fair grounds with a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock (pullets). Two little tiny girls. I took them home and put them in large fish tank (easy to disinfect) on pine shavings. I Put a light with a 60 watt blub on top. I don't know a thing about chicks either= but it is nice having them inside where I can hold them often . I will probably let them stay in until spring ....it comes early here in Florida. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif

I think few chickens are good way to start personally. I have to say myself I would wait til spring to start. I am one who don't want to take the extra time for baby chicks in winter due to drafts and such. You need to get chick feed when little cause of the nutrients but after that buy good quality feed or grind your own. I have to say they wont destroy your yard I think they help it. I let mine in my compost pile as long as you don't put egg shells in there. If you do make sure they cant get in there due to encouraging them to peck their eggs...I have found out that when we clean out the barns I out the bedding in the lot they love to scratch thru it and pick all day. I would suggest buff orphingtons or ameraucanas first just cause I think they are easy to work with.
frow.gif

Thanks for the great advice EVERYBODY!

Now I have some serious research to do about breeds and the realities of keeping little chicks in our house until they can live outside in a coop....

Back
Top Bottom