Hello from Illinois

thelinuxfan

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I am from western Illinois in a very rural area. I am new to chickens and received 15 laying hens (various white and brown layers). I am excited to involve my children in the process and excited to start getting eggs! My wife and I are going to be purchasing broilers soon as well.

I built a tractor for the chickens, and they just feathered out so I moved them yesterday from their brooder. Unfortunately, I was moving it for the first time with my wife, and one of the chicks darted to the side and got ran over. She was not going to recover so I had to euthanize her :(

I have read and watched a lot of material, so I felt prepared, but I messed up. I thought this was going to be a chore for my children to do, so I hope that it becomes easier and safer as the chickens learn.

I hope this was a lesson I won’t have to learn again, but we plan to raise many more chickens despite the setback.

My wife and I have six children and have been homeschooling for the last 8 years. We moved onto our farm this summer. Previously, we lived in a very small town and have been gardening and canning for years. We will be acquiring various other animals over the years.

If anyone has advice on moving tractors, that would be great.

Thank you!

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom