Hello from Indiana!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Keian, May 18, 2016.

1. Keian

Keian New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I just purchased my first chicks last night! I got 6 chicks: 2 buff orpingtons, 2 black australorps, 1 white leghorn, and 1 ameraucana. I'm nervous about the leghorn because I have heard that they can be very skittish and mean to the other chickens. What are your opinions on the leghorns and the other breeds I have? Also, I am not sure how often I should clean out the brooder. I'm excited to start raising chicks!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Leghorns often get a bad reputation, but my own experience has been that they are lovely birds to have in the flock. They are inquisitive and I have not seen any aggression from them towards other birds. They are not lap birds (like my BO), but if you learn their personality (and remember that each bird is an individual vs. generalizing by breed) and respect them for what they are/like/don't like it's not an issue.
    What are you brooding them in? A well sized (1-2 square feet per bird in addition to space occupied by feed/water) brooder that is kept dry (location, type and set of waterer has a LOT to do with this) will require less attention than a small brooder where the chicks are overcrowded and/or the bedding is allowed to become wet.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new chicks :clap I'm afraid I've not kept leghorns but Ol Grey Mare has left you great advice.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventures. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. Keian

Keian New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the quick response! I've heard mixed reviews about the leghorns, but I'm sure they will be fine. The chicks aren't very friendly yet, and they are don't like for me to handle them. I'm scared I won't be able to get them used to human contact before they grow up. Any tips on how to make them feel more comfortable? About the brooder, I currently have them in a brooder with about 1 square foot for each chick. However, the waterer and feeder take up so much room!

5. boosterpacksmom

boosterpacksmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Indiana
    No experience with chicks, just ducks here. Just wanted to say hi and I'm also from Indiana :)

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When working to get them used to being handled remember that they are a prey animal and, to them, you are a predator. This is especially important in reaching for them - don't reach down from above (ie grab them over the back), this is how an aerial predator would come at them and is very disconcerting -- instead, approach with your hand from the floor of the brooder so that you are coming up under them - you can start by simply laying your hand, palm side up, in the floor of the brooder so that they can explore it. Chickens are naturally curious animals and will be drawn to check you out. You can place small amounts of starter or, once introduced, other treats in your palm to make it more attractive. Make all movements slowly and calmly. When you are in the room with them, even when not interacting directly, speak softly, sing, etc so that your voice becomes familiar. Whenever possible take them out of the brooder (short periods away from the heat source will not hurt even at the earliest point - and these times can increase as their feathering increases -- mother hens take chicks out into the wide world within the first several days of life) so that you can interact without having to reach into the brooder -- let them explore you rather than you seeking them.

1 person likes this.
  7. Keian

Keian New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hello!

8. Keian

Keian New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thank you for all of your help! It is nice to know that there is a whole community of people that raise chickens and are willing to help one another.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OlGreyMare has given you a very good approach in socializing your chicks. It should pay off.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by