Hello from Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wlsngrl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Wlsngrl

Wlsngrl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Hi, I'm new here and new to chickens. My dad is currently building a me an A frame chicken tractor since I live in town and have a small backyard. I'm thinking I'll keep about 3 hens, going to pick up the baby chicks this weekend from the store I think. I'm a little scared about keeping them at the right temp and not letting them paste up.

Also, anyone used a tractor before? Where do you put a nest box? He's making it with two shelves on one side, roosting poles and all, but I want them to also have a nice place to sleep and not in the boxes from what I've read. Just trying to figure out the logistics of it.

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    check out the raising baby chicks section and the coops section. you are liable to find as many opinions as there are people!! Have fun.

Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Redsoxs posted some excellent links for you to check out! Since you have a small yard, you may want to go with Bamtam chickens [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. Wlsngrl

Feb 25, 2013
    I was thinking of Orpingtons due to neighbors living next door and nieces/nephews visiting since I've read they're calm, quieter, good egg layers. Also thought of Australorps. Would those be ok if I just got a few?

And thanks for all the welcomes!

8. Thechickenfeast

Thechickenfeast New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Hello welcome to BYC please post pics of your hen house I am interested to see them because I'm coming up for ideas for a hen house. I hope you have a good time with your chickens

9. Wlsngrl

Feb 25, 2013
    Here is the start to my tractor my dad is building. Hoping that a roost pole in the house will be sufficient and nailing the nest box above it. How high can they jump and will that be private enough?

10. jade0206

jade0206 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by