Hello from Indiana

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schultz, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the forum and sort of new to chickens. I raised them about 17 years ago but stopped until my husband and myself rescued some from Craigslist a few months ago. All was going well until we had a racoon kill 2 of the 6 we had. We solved that problem, sort of. Well my girls have been doing great, laying everyday and yesterday I met a man with what I think are Old English Bantams. I bought 7 (6 female and 1 male) and they are about a month old. What I am hoping to find out is if I can keep the "Old English" with the other chickens which I believe are "Shaver" chickens. I would like to have them all in the same coop but I am afraid the bigger chickens will peck the little ones. Any advise?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi Schultz from another Schultz! Welcome to BYC. I don't have the answers you need, but there are LOTS of knowledgeable people on here who will be happy to help you out. Good luck!

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hello Schultz and thanks for the welcome!! I hope this forum is as nice as it seems [​IMG]

4. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm from Indianapolis too!! Which side of town are you on? Are you keeping chickens legally or under the radar like me?

Sarah

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am legally in on the south side of Indy but it's also considered West Newton. I live on 4 acres and my neighbors are great so there has been no disturbance issues. But, yes I am flying under the radar!!!
    Kat

6. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Hi there. I've had OEGBs in with my standards. Sometimes they fight, but the OEGBs just fly higher!

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info, Carole, but my husband decided to seperate them due to the unexpected discovery made today...here's what I posted in the ID section...
    Ok, my husband and I did a little more research and figured out that the bottom chickens are some kind of Asil chicken. The photos I found, which look exactly like my chicks parents, were found on a cock fighting website Now looking back at the conversation with the man who sold them to me; he had too many females, look at how stong the dad is and how big his legs and spurs are; geez I guess I am now the proud owner of what could potentially be fighting chickens. Not that I would ever think of such nonsense but guess I was the naive one; I just thought they were pretty! So does anyone here have Asil or Aseel chickens??

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Welcome Schultz! I too am a Schultz - I married into the name. Looks like we have a small Schultz group here LOL.

Enjoy your chickens!

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I too married into the name but Schultz's are great people!! Thanks!

10. sarah

sarah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    Schultz from Indianapolis

...and others from Indy. The city statute is (last I checked) that there is no limit on chickens in the city limits, all of Marion County. You may live in a neighborhood with regulations, but keeping chickens in the city is fine. We live in the near east side in a small urban lot and have 5 hens, no roos ('cause that would be mean to our neighbors).

You don't really have to fly under the radar, unless you are selling eggs or meat, or in large-scale breeding. Backyard chickens in the city are fine. [​IMG]

Welcome to the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by