Hello From Iowa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SilkieChick00, Dec 17, 2008.

1. SilkieChick00

SilkieChick00 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I just joined today and thought I'd let you know a little about me.

My name is Carmen [​IMG] I'm 21 and the mother of 3 very energetic boys! We reside in Des Moines, Iowa and have had our chickens for about 5 1/2 months. We have 2 Buff Orpington Hens ( Rosie and Bertha) 2 Silkie Hens (1 white called snowflake, 1 splash called chickadee) 2 Silkie Roos (1 white,un-named 1 buff also un-named). We also have a EE (maybe?) hen named Gizmo. She only has 1 eye.
    Our Hen's have recently started laying and I'm proud to say we just ate our first egg feast this morning! The boys, s/o, and I just loved them. They were delicious!

I've learned a lot from this site already. I've been checking the place out for a few days now, lol. I know there is so much more to learn!

~Carmen

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Welcome. Nice to see another Iowegian. I live down by Centerville. There is an Iowa thread that we get on sometimes. We all chatted a bunch when the Iowa City Show was going on. I have a Black silkie!! Shes just a baby still. So adorable.
    3 boys [​IMG] I bet they keep you busy. I know my 2 yr. boy does. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

[​IMG] I am south of you a little in North central missouri, Marceline to be exact....Welcome welcome welcome

4. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    [​IMG] Yay! I am in Iowa, too--Shelby, Iowa. I have two boys, but one has his own house and one is in college. I have an EMPTY NEST!! ARRRGH! [​IMG]

5. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Welcome! Three little boys! [​IMG] I bet they are a ton of fun!!!! It is great that they get to grow up with fresh eggs and the fun of owning chickens.

I am new to chicken owning also and am looking forward to my girls starting to lay in March.

6. SilkieChick00

Dec 17, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. The boys do keep me busy, but very entertained at the same time, lol!

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Boys are a precious package and you got 3...how lucky! [​IMG]

8. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    Welcome - I'm in sw Iowa and also have 3 sons and have loved every minute of it. Enjoy [​IMG] They will be grown and gone like mine are before you know it.

9. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    [​IMG] Yahoo! Another Iowan!! I live south of you, near Lovilia. So do you live in DSM city limits? Do your neighbors like your birds??

Have you gotten any EE eggs yet? I have one that started laying a few weeks ago, and she lays the purtiest little green eggs. If you have any girls who go broody this spring, you can certainly trade for some hatching eggs from some of us Iowans if you want. Mine are mixed breed, so you probably wouldn't want them![​IMG]

10. SilkieChick00

Dec 17, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Quote:I'm glad to hear you made it out alive![​IMG] The way our 1 year old has been acting lately it feels a bit iffy, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by