Hello from Iowa!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HippieMom, Mar 27, 2015.

1. HippieMom

HippieMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Newton, IA
    Hello all! I'm Shauna, a 34 year old mom to 3 active boys, happily married, and also a veterinary assistant at a small practice. Today I am preparing to bring home a couple of ducklings, and within the next month I will bring home a couple of chickens as well. I have joined this site to educate myself as much as possible in care of healthy, happy backyard chickens and ducks. I can't wait to get started!!

Shauna

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi Shauna welcome to BYC! I haven't had an interest in ducks until this last year and now I placed in my order for runner ducklings. What breed of ducklings did you plan on getting?

3. HippieMom

HippieMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Newton, IA
    The ducks available to me here are Pekin ducks. And after doing some more research I think they will be a good fit. Sounds like they are messy, but entertaining and produce a good number of eggs. :)

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    All ducks are messy in their own way. It's probably because the Pekin duck is one of the bigger ducks so logically it'd make a bigger mess. But Pekin ducks are an awesome breed.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC!
    We're glad you decided to join. [​IMG]There is tons of information on here, so I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Shauna![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with your future ducklings and chickens! I've never kept ducks, but have always wanted to.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Folks have told me if you don't mind everything soaking wet (they love to splash even in their water dish) and projectile poo covering every surface, you are ready to have ducks.

Still game ???

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Shauna. Glad you decided join our flock. I love your avatar. Raising poultry is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by