Hello from Ireland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KMeade, Aug 1, 2011.

1. KMeade

KMeade Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Hello all,

I am a new convert to the world of keeping chickens, and I have found the advice on this website to be second to none, so thanks!

Keeping chickens is totally addictive. I simply went to a local poultry farmer to see his set up, and immediately took a shine to a few hens. I came home with five in the boot of my car. Even before I had a coop! I have since bought a coop, and two more pullets. However as I soon realised, I couldnt mix my hens and pullets (and I have since learned a massive amount about hen feeding, psychology and behaviour), so I built a coop. The ad for the one I purchased said suitable for 4-6 chickens but it really isnt. And the roosts are realy low, leading to nest box sleeping and dont think the chucks were all that happy. They wanted to get higher. In the process, learned lots so started another coop, which looks a lot better. I now have three coops for 7 chickens, which I realise is excessive. However, it leaves me some room for expansion!!

So the three hens are RIR, Light Sussex and a silver laced wyandotte. The pullets are another buff sussex (more about her later), golden brahma, blue giant jersey and an astralorp.

The only difficulty I have had is worrying about predator proofing my coop. We have had several visits from the fox, but no casualties yet, thankfully. As the coops are mobile, I dont want to bury wire etc. I do have a skirt of wire but it is getting frayed and would probably not be that effective. I have it weighted down with rocks and wood, which makes the pace look messy. I am wondering how likely is it that a fox would dig under the coop - is this common?

Anyway, I am loving the poultry keeping - and hope to have chicks next year if one of the hens goes broody. The individual personalities are so interesting to watch. Interestingly, the light sussex is extremely quiet - allowing you to pick her up and routinely comes into the kitchen. However, the buff sussex is a crazy chick. So nervous is she, that she is turning my other quiet pullets into nervous wrecks also. I have had to put her in with the hens in the new coop as she is graduating to layer feed, but she is currently squawking like mad outside my window. I will keep an eye on her and see if she settles in.

Thanks for all the advice on this site, very helpful.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Welcome to BYC! and yes, their personalities are interesting to watch! [​IMG]

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hello KMeade!! Welcome to BackYardChickens. We are always happy to have new members and hope that our site can help you with all your chicken related questions as well as introduce you to chicken buddies from all over the world, regardless of your time zone. [​IMG]

Im in the U.S. in Northern California. I havent had any trouble with foxes here, so I cant give you specifics on their habits, however, I have had luck keeping dogs, skunks, and raccoons out of several pens by having a wire skirt out on the ground and weighted down with patio pavers. Skunks were deterred by as little as 1 foot of wire skirt but I would recommend 3 feet (or about a meter in your world [​IMG]) to deter more serious diggers. Pavers or bricks can certainly improve the looks and some folks even use metal ground stakes to hold down the wire and then plant grass or ground cover over it.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

Chel

5. breezychick

breezychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas!

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! I've often wondered about the space in some of the prebuilt coops that I've seen online. They look a little tight inside. A lot of people here use hardware cloth 1/2 inch for their run and coop. I wish I would of told my husband about it before he purchased the welded wire. I have a skirt along the bottom as well, but it's the dreaded chicken wire. I keep my girls locked up in the coop nightly. We have so many predators here. It's very nice to meet you and I hope you stay casualty free.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas! Welcome to chicken world!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]