Hello from Janf in PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janf, May 21, 2016.

1. janf

janf New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Currently have 6 Silkie chicks that are 6 weeks. One is having an issue walking. It can stand and walk some but then seems to collapse. Eats, drinks and poops normal. Does not seem to be distraught. It is the smallest of them and I have it in a small dog crate in the brooder room so it's not alone and can't get picked on. Any idea what's up with it anyone?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    I am sorry to hear one of your little ones is not doing well. A little more information would help us to better help you/your bird. How long have you had the bird separated from the rest of the chicks? Prior to separation did you have just one or more than one feed station in the brooder? What feed are you using? How much smaller than the rest of the birds is this one? When it collapses is it 'melting' or falling over suddenly?

3. janf

janf New Egg

May 19, 2016

4. janf

janf New Egg

May 19, 2016
    The chick has been in a cage most of this week. We had multiple small chick feed stations and graduate to a big horse feed pan. There did not seem to be any squabbling. Its not a lot smaller more like full grown bantum compared to Silkie. They were just getting wing feathers and doing a lot of testing in the room. We are feeding an organic chick starter not medicated.

We've had chickens off and on in our life this us just a first. If it was distressed I know what would have to be done. But other than not moving with it's friends and not steady on feet it seems ok. It teeters and then sits down. It does use wings to balance.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does it appear to have any foot problems , like splayed feet or curled toes? Silkies in general are very prone to brain damage from a peck or blow to the head. Sometimes they have nutritional deficiencies and some Polyvisol infant drops (NO IRON) brings about improvement. I would suggest 2 or 3 drops - 3 x a day. If she will eat it off food - great, if not just use an eye dropper and put just inside her beak, so she can push out if she doesn't want to swallow them.

Please keep us updated. I hope she will improve soon.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ps did this chick have trouble walking etc. from hatch or did it just recently acquire this problem? Did you hatch these chicks? I am wondering if she had a rough hatch.

8. janf

janf New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Got all 6 from tractor supply. It behaved same as the rest until this week. On occasion I see the foot curled when it goes down. I've put rooster booster vitamins in the water.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. janf

janf New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Sadly the chick I posted about did not make it. We came home yesterday and both legs seemed paralyzed. Husband did what needed done. I'll never be a real farmer. I always want them all to live especially the little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by