Hello from Japan (soon-to-be Fort Riley, Kansas)!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MsMoose, May 17, 2011.

1. MsMoose

MsMoose New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hello to everyone here! I have been lurking for some time now and have finally decided to make my introduction!

We are a military family who is currently living in Japan on the outskirts of Tokyo. We're moving to Fort Riley, Kansas at the later part of this year. DH and I grew up and have lived all up and down on the east coast so we're excited to live in the Midwest and get to know someplace new!

I have always been an animal lover, and DH used to work on his grandfather's quail farm in NC. He's not as fond of my future plans (his grandfather made him slaughter quail by hand for several summers...I think he's a bit numb to birds after that experience), but I used to own a quaker parrot and I love the idea of having birds in (or outside of) our home once again. We have a 21 month old daughter who loves animals as well and I would love for her to have this experience as well.

We're hoping to find a home off base with a large enough fenced back yard for our dog and possibly a chicken coop. I found the Manhattan, KS ordinance allowing for chickens >25 ft from a house, but couldn't find anything about the Junction City area. I'm assuming they have the same rules...or is there no ordinance in Junction City?

I'm hoping to be able to build our own chicken coop once we arrive, and hopefully after the winter is over getting some docile and friendly chickens to live in it (maybe 3-4?). I will be asking a TON of questions between now and then, so get ready!!!

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!! [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG] Check the BYC L.O.R.E project for ordinance, it might have something.
    Enjoy the site!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I know yall will be glad to get back to the states!

6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Best of luck to you! Hope you find the perfect place to being your new adventure!

7. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    [​IMG] from Georgia!!

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas,

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Hope you are able to get some birds when you get settled.

10. Bria

Bria Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Waynesville
    Hi from Fort Leonard Wood-lost in the woods:) Welcome. We just got here 8 months ago and have been all over the east coast as well and CA and Germany-9 PCS's in 10 yrs. lol. Welcome and enjoy the BYC. Info on here is awesome! Safe travels back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by