Hello from Kansas!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Techie Rooster, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Techie Rooster

Techie Rooster New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Hello everyone!

I ran across this website doing a google search for chicken raising tips. I am very impressed by the wealth of knowledge here and am giddy with anticipation.

I live in the city currently but hope to someday move out to the country. I first began entertaining thoughts of having chickens because I absolutely HATE ticks! In researching what it takes to kill off ticks in general and what their natural predators are, I found that birds, like chickens, supposedly are great for keeping the wood tick population down. So it made sense that when I get out to the country, I should probably get some free ranging chickens.

Well...then of course I figured if I'm going to have chickens, I may as well benefit from it in the form of eggs and possibly meat too. So thus began my search, which landed me here.

As the subject mentions, I'm from Kansas. I'm a server administrator/technical support guy for a server backup company (hence the techie part of my forum name :)) and get to work from home (hurray!!!) and plan on keeping this job for many many years. So when we get our place in the country, I want to get back to doing more of what I did growing up and get away from the computer when I'm not at work. I spent lots of time out on a farm helping out when I was growing up. Did almost everything except hogs, and yes, even tended chickens, ducks, and geese.

Since it will likely be a while before I start venturing out with chickens on my own, I figure I'd stop in, say hello, try to make some friends and line up good "goto" resources for when I start off on this venture. :) That way, I've got as much information as possible to try and do it more or less right with as little headaches as possible, realizing of course that nothing will ever go to plan and I'll have plenty of headaches anyways. :D

It's wonderful to be here so far and I'm going to go do more reading now. See ya!!!

Mike

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! There really is a wealth of information here. The Learning Center has some excellent articles that you can look at to refresh your chicken keeping skills :) Enjoy the site!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] if you go to "where am I, where are you," you can locate and post on your state thread

6. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Hello & Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I hate ticks as well.. such gross little bugs. Good luck to you!

7. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Mike, plan now - get your birds later. That's a logical progression. Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by