HELLO from Katy Tx...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adiekaty, Mar 24, 2013.

1. adiekaty

adiekaty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    Hello,
    Im totally new and clueless. researching as much as i can so i do this new venture right! Were building a coop next weekend, starting small, only 2-3 hens. Looking for friendly and of course cute ones! Egg layers are the purpose. Like i said, new and clueless.. Is there a starter breed so to speak? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you all soon!!
    Adrienne

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC

There are so many beautiful fluffy and friendly egg layers out there. You will want to build that coop extra big so you can have a few of every color

Check out the breeds tab at the top of the page and good luck deciding :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Adrienne, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Take heart! We were all beginners once - you'll be an old hand in no time. Below are some links to kick start your learning curve. I don't know if there is a starter breed - although some are more docile than others.

Here is a handy dandy chart that gives the various attributes of a lot of breeds.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Here is the Learning Center link where you can learn what you need to know to raise and manage our flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Here is the Baby Chicks forum - it is Q & A but read the old threads for lots of great information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Also, on your coop - use hardware cloth - at least from the ground to at least 16" inches up - chicken wire will not keep predators out - hardware cloth is much better!! Good luck and have fun on your journey!!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Tongiechick

Tongiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Tonganoxie Kansas
    hey whats up its cool that you live in katy Texas my dad lives there and is also building a coop. his looks like the white house

hope the weather is nice there we just got about half a foot of snow

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. adiekaty

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    Hello Everyone,
    Thanks for the replies, didn't see them until today! Although, I have been on this site non stop for two weeks!! Tons of great info!!
    Anyhow, Our "TWO" chickens turned into "SIX!" We ended up with an Americana, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Silver Laced Wynadotte and two Silkies, white and blue. (Our daughter thought she needed two, since they would be so much smaller than the other hens) Anyhow, they're happily in the study being kept warm in a rabbit hutch. A few ppl. told me buy a few extra, you will lose some.. that worried me, we were all attaché the first day! So far, all is great! We are still undecided about the coop, I have looked at thousands of photos.. Brain overload! But hoping to narrow down my decision this week, so we can get started!
    Adrienne :))

10. adiekaty

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    Hello... Thank you so much for the info!!! Much appreciated!
    Adrienne

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by