Hello from Keller, TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adstoffels, Mar 15, 2013.

1. adstoffels

adstoffels Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Keller TX
    Hello,
    I am so excited to start my new flock. I had one a year ago and they all got sick. :(. I'm nervous that will happen again. Anyone have thoughts on vaccinations and how that will effect eggs? We love the eggs. I am also trying to decide how many to get. We have a dog side run on our house that we have turned into a chicken coop and run. We let them out a couple of times a week in the backyard. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Also, I love cute chicks but I don't want to wait the twenty weeks til they start laying. Does anyone know who might be selling laying hens fully grown?
    Thanks for any input!

2. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Hi and welcome from Colorado [​IMG] A laying flock of hens could be difficult to find. Try going to 'Where am I? Where are you!' in 'Social' and look for Texas. Who knows, you may get lucky and find someone down the road!

3. GFamily

GFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Texas
    Craigslist always has laying hens for sale in our area. I live close to you, but I don't have laying hens yet. So, I would search on there. Trust me, I do it all the time and it's VERY tempting!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, adstoffels, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Here's a good read on vaccinations:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

Many hatcheries vaccinate chicks before shipping them, ask if you order chicks. Ditto with older chickens, ask if they have been vaccinated at any stage and against what. Here are some articles (from our Learning Center) that will give you more info and advice on keeping your flock healthy and happy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/maintaining-a-healthy-flock

Best of luck for the second time round and fingers crossed everything go well for you this time!

7. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    welcome from INDIANA

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. adstoffels

adstoffels Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Keller TX
    Thanks everyone! I will be reading away today! I forgot about Craigslist. I'll check into that.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by