Hello from Kentucky!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lunulaaethra, Nov 3, 2016.

1. lunulaaethra

lunulaaethra Just Hatched

Nov 1, 2016
    Hello everyone!
    I stumbled across this foru searching for possible ailments for chickens. Our chickens are about 7 months old we have 6 and 4 are laying. The one that has been lying the longest would not get out of the coop this morning. I picked her up and put her on the ground and she did walk over to the water and she laid there for the entire morning. She is drinking water but she isn't doing anything else. I just left the house but before I did I put her away somewhere safe that the other chickens couldn't pick her or anything could get her sinc I just left the house but before I did I put her away somewhere safe that the other chickens couldn't pick her or anything could get her since she's not moving very much. I've checked her for months but I didn't see anything matching any descriptions that I read online. The only other thing that I can tell you is her pooh is watery and yellow. And this is probably not the right place for this post but I'm currently running errands and very scared for our chicken (her name is LoudMouth :) ). They have all become like members of our family.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you have an under the weather lady. There could be many things that are causing her to be poorly. Has she started laying yet? Could she have an egg stuck? How does her crop feel? Soft, hard, full or empty? Have you wormed them at all? What colour is her poop? Sorry for lots of questions but I'm sure if you post in the emergency section more members will be able to help you further ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with her and I hope she is well again soon :fl

2 people like this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us but sorry to hear your hens are doing poorly. Yorkshire Coop offered great advice so I'll just say best wishes to you and your flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. lunulaaethra

Nov 1, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome. I don't really know much about chickens. I don't know what a crop is? She's only been laying about a month. Yellow watery bowl movements. We have never wormed them. I did look at the illness section, but unfortunately I'm not really sure what the terms mean or exactly how to feel around a chicken. I'm a new chicken mom. I don't think it's mites but will dust her and the flock anyway. :) Thanks for the advice.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! A crop is what holds a chickens food before it is digested. It is on their chest, and when it is full, it is quite noticeable, and sometimes can look like a lopsided breast. It is on their right side. I feel like there are some articles that have been written on poultry terms, but I can't remember where they are....type something like ''glossary of poultry terms'' into the search bar, and see if anything comes up. Good luck with Loudmouth!

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

9. lunulaaethra

Nov 1, 2016
    Thanks everyone! I put some electrolytes in her water and dusted them all and she's a new chicken! Thanks for the warm welcomes and good advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by