Hello from Kitchings Mill, SC

KarenS24

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hello all! I am the proud mama to six girls since Saturday. Woot woot! Quick question. I would like to let them out of the run for a couple of hours prior to them roosting. Should I wait a couple of weeks to do this?

They are all 1 year old and one is 17 weeks. They have been going up into the coop about 8:10 every night on their own. I would assume they will do the same if I let them out right?

Appreciate any advice and thanks for your patience in advance. I am brand new to the chicken world.

Have a great weekend! Karen

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new flock! Usually you want to leave them locked in the coop/run area for about a week so they get to know where home is, then when you let them out start just a short time before they would normally go in and gradually lengthen the time over the next week or so.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Given the age of your chickens, and the fact that they have been returning to the coop on their own each night to roost, obviously the coop has been well imprinted on them by now as home, so letting them free range for a couple of hours during the day shouldn't be a problem. One question though, are there any predators in your area that you need to be concerned about while they are free ranging? If so, will someone be outside with them to keep an eye on them? Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your free ranging.

Good plan, as long as you know free ranging birds are subject to predator attacks. You have to be prepared for some losses.

Thanks guys! Michael - yes I live in the country. I plan on letting them out only if I can spend the time with them! Thanks so much for the responses!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new flock! Just be watchful around dusk as this is when the nighttime critters come out to prowl.

Enjoy your new birds and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom