Hello from Kitsap County, Washington!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by poultryorganics, Nov 21, 2012.

1. poultryorganics

poultryorganics Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    I've found this website to be so helpful over the past few months, I finally decided to take the plunge and join the fun! Greetings to you all - and much thanks to you who have taken the time to share your lessons learned.... My husband and I are the proud accidental parents of 18 Speckled Sussex, 4 Buff Orpington, 4 Easter Eggers (the feed store called them Americauna?). We are also the proud planned parents of 2 Conjures, 1 Golden Retriever and 1 Labradoodle!

This past March, our neighbors lost everything they owned when their rental went up in flames. It was a terrible thing to witness, however fortunately the couple and their pets (3 cats, 9 SS hens and 1 SS rooster, and 1 Boxer) were spared. The physical damage was limited to their material possessions. The couple was provided with temporary housing (where they were able to take their cats with them) and some cash by The Red Cross (I was truly impressed seeing this charitable service in action). I offered to care for their dog in our home, and tend to the chickens until they could find another place to live. This couple hadn't much money, and both were unemployed, so finding a new home (and work) became a much bigger challenge then we originally anticipated.... to make a long story short - it suffices to say that we ended up adopting the chickens and another neighbor adopted the Boxer.

Those of you whom enjoy math have likely asked this question already.... how did 10 SS chickens turn into 18 SS + 4 BO +4 EE ?? I'll work the equation and share this life changing sequence of events on the next post to this thread, as I've got to run right now...

Looking forward to chatting and interacting with you all! Best Regards,

2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's so nice that you took them in.

Welcome from a neighbor in Renton.

Imp

5. ingeyoung

ingeyoung Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Welcome to byc

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Very nice of you to give them a new home :thumbsup

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, poultryorganics, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Sounds like a full-fledged poultry operation you have going. Good luck to you!!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and, [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by